Southwest Airlines said that a mother and daughter were too fat to fly – except the daughter said that she wasn't too fat at all.
Kenlie Tiggeman, a New York City political strategist and weight loss blogger said that she and her mother were singled out for their weight by Southwest employees.
"I asked him what the weight restrictions were and he said that he didn't know, just that we were too heavy to fly. Too fat to fly," said Tiggeman.
To make matters worse, Tiggeman, who once weighed 400 pounds, had just lost 120 pounds, according to her blog "All the Weigh".
"For the record, I can sit in any seat on the plane with the armrests down. I can use the seat tray table to place my laptop or water comfortably in front of me. I can cross my legs, read a book and/or listen to my iPod without encroaching on the seat next to me," she wrote on her blog.
Tiggeman claims that the staff at Southwest decided that she, her mother and another female passenger were too fat to fly – even though this was a return flight and they hadn't been stopped before.
"I know that I have a lot of weight to lose but I am definitely not too fat to fly. I do it all the time, domestically and internationally, and I have never had anyone approach me and particularly in the way that they did," said Tiggeman.
Eventually, she, her mother and another woman deemed too heavy were allowed onto the plane.
Southwest has issued them an apology and offered them free vouchers.
To add insult to injury, Tiggeman said the Southwest staffers offered to bring the women Cokes.
"Look Southwest Airlines ... I don't drink sodas - diet or otherwise. And by the way, I've lost over 114 pounds which helps me fit into your stupid airplane seats so no thanks," she wrote.
Last week, Tiggeman told reporters that while she wants to move on, she still wants to send a message.
"My goal in sharing my story was clear - to remind other people facing discrimination due to size that it is absolutely okay to stand up for yourself. Regardless of size, we all deserve to be treated with respect. And, now it seems that I have to convince myself, once again, that I am worth fighting for."
The airline has a poor track record with dealing with passengers of size.
Last February, director Kevin Smith was asked to get off a Southwest plane, despite his insistence that he had already been seated and was able to fit into his seat.
MAC.TV is an independent network television broadcasting company that owns and operates the largest African broadcast television station group in the U.S. MAC.TV and Ethiopian Radio and Television Agency (ERTA) currently broadcasts to over 6 global satellites worldwide reach major cities in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. VISIT US ON THE WEB AT HTTP://WWW.MYAFRICACHANNEL.TV
Pages
Popular Posts
-
THE WHITE HOUSE Office of the Press Secretary ___________________________________________________...
-
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Stocks closed out their worst week in more than two years on Friday in a volatile session that saw the major indexes ...
-
Washington, D.C., March 8, 2011 By Williams Ekanem Chirman of the Senate Finance Subcommittee on Health Care on Tuesday presented a bill...
-
CAIRO , March 1 (Reuters) - Egypt 's public prosecutor will investigate claims made against three more prominent former politicians, s...
-
February 14, 2011 Williams Ekanem U.S Secretary of States, Hillary Clinton has responded to ...
-
By John Irish and Brian Love July 12, 2011 Widespread discussions are under way to bring the Libyan crisis to an end ...
-
* Cabinet reshuffled twice after protests * Protestors say information minister should have gone too By Saleh Al-Shaibany MUSCAT , Ma...
-
Tens of thousands of Muslim worshippers pray in Jerusalem to mark Laylat al Qadr , the 27th night of Ramadan.
-
Washington, D.C., March 8, 2011 By Williams Ekanem Chirman of the Senate Finance Subcommittee on Health Care on Tuesday presented a b...
-
S&P also changed its assumption that the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts enacted under President George W. Bush would expire by the end of 201...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment