U.S. President Barack Obama marks his 50th birthday on Thursday (August 4) with a celebration and reflection.
CONTAINS CONVERTED 4:3 MATERIAL
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS, UNITED STATES (FILE - JULY 27, 2004) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (POOL - ACCESS ALL)
1. SENATOR BARACK OBAMA ENTERING 2004 DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION
2. VARIOUS OF CROWD CHEERING AND WAVING OBAMA SIGNS
3 (SOUNDBITE) (English) THEN ILLINOIS SENATOR BARACK OBAMA SAYING:
"It's the hope of slaves sitting around a fire singing freedom songs, the hope of immigrants setting out for distant shores, the hope of a young naval lieutenant bravely patrolling the Mekong Delta, the hope of a millworker's son who dares to defy the odds, the hope of a skinny kid with a funny name who believes that America has a place for him too."
NEW HAMPSHIRE, UNITED STATES (FILE) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
4. OBAMA CAMPAIGNING FOR PRESIDENT
SHOWS: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (FILE - JANUARY 17, 2009) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS-ACCESS ALL)
5. OBAMA "HOPE" PORTRAIT BEING UNVEILED AT NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY
WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (FILE - JANUARY 20, 2009) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (U.S. POOL/ REUTERS CONTRIBUTOR - ACCESS ALL)
6. VARIOUS OF PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION CEREMONY, CROWDS STRETCHING TO WASHINGTON MONUMENT, VARIOUS OF OBAMA BEING SWORN IN AS PRESIDENT AT CAPITOL, GUN SALUTE
UNKNOWN LOCATION (FILE - INFOMERCIAL AD) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (HANDOUT - ACCESS ALL)
7. OBAMA FAMILY PHOTOS, OBAMA VOICEOVER SAYING:
"My father, who I barely knew -- I only met once for a month in my entire life. I probably was shaped more by his absence than his presence."
LONDON, ENGLAND (FILE - MAY 24, 2011) (REUTERS PARTNER - NO ACCESS DAYBREAK/ UKBROADCAST)
8. OBAMA PLAYING TABLE TENNIS WITH BRITISH PRIME MINISTER DAVID CAMERON AND STUDENTS AT A SOUTH LONDON SCHOOL
WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JULY 23, 2011) (RESTRICTED POOL - NO ACCESS USA/CNN/AOL/YAHOO/WIRELESS)
9. U.S. PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA SITTING WITH HOUSE SPEAKER JOHN BOEHNER AND SENATE MAJORITY LEADER HARRY REID
10. WIDE OF OBAMA MEETING WITH LAWMAKERS
ANDREWS AIR FORCE BASE, MARYLAND, UNITED STATES (JUNE 18, 2011) (RESTRICTED POOL - NO ACCESS USA/CNN/AOL/YAHOO/WIRELESS)
11. VARIOUS OF U.S. PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA AND SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE JOHN BOEHNER ON GOLF COURSE
WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (FILE - JULY 17, 2011) (RESTRICTED POOL - NO ACCESS USA/CNN/AOL/YAHOO/WIRELES)
12. VARIOUS OF OBAMA, FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA AND DAUGHTERS SASHA AND MALIA
STORY: U.S. President Barack Obama hits the half-century mark on Thursday (August 4), his 50th birthday.
Birthday celebrations are set to begin on Wednesday (August 3) evening in Chicago, where a party is planned for a campaign fundraising event hosted by the Democratic National Committee.
Among the guests will be Chicago music stars Jennifer Hudson and Herbie Hancock, who will perform at the party.
Outside the party, the uninvited will include tea party activists who plan to rally for more jobs.
Born in Hawaii in 1961, Obama took power in 2009 as the first black U.S. president after an inauguration ceremony that drew hundreds of thousands of people to the National Mall grounds.
Obama's birthday party comes just one day after he signed into law a deal to raise the debt ceiling and avoid default on U.S. obligations.
The hard-fought compromise could be yet another reason why the president's hair has turned from black to a shade of gray since entering the White House.
For more up to date News visit our website: http://www.myafricachannel.tv or follow us on tweeter @mactv_dc